Standard Implant Procedure
The standard implant procedure is somewhat lengthy, usually involving several visits and a period of time between three and six months. But don’t worry about any pain during the procedure – the procedure itself won’t hurt or cause any pain, because it must be performed under local anesthesia. The procedure includes these steps:
- Consultation and Examination – This is an essential step at the start of the process. During your first appointment, you and one of our expert dentists will discuss exactly what you want. Then, the dentist will take a detailed look through your medical and dental history and examine your mouth orally to determine your current oral health, and view 3-D X-ray images of your jaw to determine the condition of your jaw bone. This is very important, because the jaw bone has to be strong enough to give support to the implants and be able to bear all the chewing forces transmitted during eating.
- Extraction of Existing Teeth – If your existing teeth have a poor prognosis, they are extracted from the jaw. Then, the gum is given time for healing.
- Grafting – If the jaw bone or gum flesh is lacking, grafting of gum flesh and jaw bone is still a possibility. Similarly, gum flesh may need to be grafted to improve aesthetics. Grafting involves surgery, and a duration of three months should be allowed after grafting.
- Installation of Implants – Once enough bone has grown, holes are drilled into the structure with speed controlled drills at pre-calculated placements and angles. The implants are fitted with an abutment, which will help the artificial teeth later. The gum flesh is stitched over the implants. The patient is sent home to allow Osseo-integration to occur, which may take three to six months.
- Placement of Crowns – The next appointment will be planned after osseo-integration has taken place. Specially fabricated crowns are secured to the implants through the abutments. In situations when all the teeth are being restored, a complete set of fourteen teeth can be supported on four suitably located and angled implants. This is called an ‘all-on-four’. In some situations, more than four implants may be required.
Same-Day Implants at PermaDent
To avoid the long wait before you can get your beautiful new smile, dentists have developed a same-day implant procedure. These implants are fitted with a crown, denture, or bridge, immediately following their placement inside the jaw bone.